What really satisfy us?
John 4:13-14
Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
A familiar passage for many of us
We often see and recognise that we need to read the bible, pray and seek God, because that is living water, which is well, true!
but a point that we often overlook is that are we still drinking from external sources?
In this passage, when the Samaritan woman asked Him in the following verse
"Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.", Jesus begin to deal with the "external sources" that she has been drinking from
notice that Jesus didn't say: "Here it is! Drink up!"
or to even spell it out: "You have to read the word of God and have a relationship with Him"
nope... the first thing he did was to get the woman to deal with those "external sources"
what's wrong with drinking from external sources?
and do they quench our thirst?
of course they do!!!
for me, I find that if I am the woman, I have no problem keep going back to that well and fetch water again, no matter how tedious it is
after all, I get to drink!
but now, this is where we often fail to see this
Jesus is saying "This water that I am offering you has been purely treated, don't even require chlorine, all 100% natural, better than your expensive evian or perry, and I will have PUB install a direct pipe straight to your home,
AND FREE OF CHARGE"
now, with such an offer,
would you take it up?
or would you continue to head down to that well and drink from it,
while your family members are flushing the toilet bowl with that most pristine water
what should we do then?
we have to stop going to that well
In vs 29 to 30 of that passage, it says:
Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, 29 "Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Christ?" 30 They came out of the town and made their way toward him.
though many times, we may be somehow blinded to believe that the well's water is "better"
in the same way, the devil strives to spread lies
even lies such as
"Oh well, you can continue to drink from the well, even if you have that top quality water at home.
That well's water won't kill you that fast"
personally,
I find that there's many struggles I face in this fast pace society and to recognise that the living water that God provides is way better - is something that I find myself often blinded - thus resulting to external sources of water
Today, is there something that you often turn to to satisfy your thrist?
It may be love, friends, family, work, entertainment?
So why turn to Jesus?
Start to ask yourself why you love Jesus and why He loves you
Just like when NeWater first released in Singapore, what is the first thing that people ask? - whether it is bad for the body, whether there are any health benefits
but of course, the living water that Jesus offers - no negative points, only eternal life
I think it would be a good start to discover what its contents are
in fact, I'd think that we need to discover it DAILY - afterall, it's living water, it's not exhaustive!!
but first off, would you be interested? or that well still interests you more?
I don't want to allow the well water to kill me some day
so, I'd better start to cherish that living water!
Isaiah 55:1 - 3
Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.
2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
3 Give ear and come to me;
hear me, that your soul may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David.
And what's the result of drinking in the Word of God?
Your soul delights in what you are taking in
one final thought
we are made for eternity - thus, only what is eternal would be able to satisfy us
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment